All material published by Penguin Group (Canada) is protected under copyright law. Written permission from us is required if you wish to reproduce our material.
How do I request permission to reproduce material?
All requests must be made in writing, via fax or e-mail. Please include the title and author of the book you wish to reprint from. We will also need to know:
- the exact material you wish to reprint
- the page numbers on which the material appears in our book
- title and publisher of your book, proposed date of publication, price, and print run what territories you need permission for (Canada English, World English, World All Languages, etc.).
Please send your request to:
Rights and Contracts Department
Penguin Group (Canada)
90 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 700
How long does it take to process a permission request?
It may take approximately 3 to 4 weeks before you receive a written response to your request. (This time frame varies depending on the amount of requests we have to process.) Therefore, we ask you to submit a complete request for permission as early in your editorial process as possible.
What about titles published by other Penguin companies?
Penguin Group (Canada) distributes many titles from the Penguin Group, including Penguin Group (USA) and Penguin Books Ltd. (UK). We can grant permissions only on titles that are part of our domestic publishing program, i.e., that are published under the following imprints: Viking Canada, Penguin Canada, Puffin Canada, and Hamish Hamilton Canada. The easiest way to tell whether a book is published by Penguin Group (Canada) is to look for our imprint logos on the inside title page, or at the bottom corner of the back jacket flap. If the book is not published by Penguin Group (Canada), you must contact the appropriate Penguin office for permission.
- If your source is an anthology or a collection of various authors' works, you must review the copyright, acknowledgement page(s), the front matter, and the back matter to locate the information pertaining to the original source of the material in the book which you wish to copy. Your request should be directed to that party.
- If you are interested in reprinting photographs or illustrations from a book, please review the credits page, usually located at the back of the book, to determine the original copyright holder. Your request should be directed to that party.
For details on how to submit a permissions request to other Penguin Group companies, please visit the following websites:Penguin Group (USA) www.penguinputnam.com
(click on "permissions requests" link located at the bottom right-hand corner of the home page)
The following are imprints of the adult division of Penguin USA: Ace, Alpha, Avery, Berkley, Chamberlain Bros., Dutton, Gotham, Putnam, HP Books, Hudson Street Press, Jeremy P. Tarcher, Jove, NAL, Penguin Press, Perigee, Plume, Portfolio, Riverhead, Sentinel, Viking.
The following are imprints of the young readers division of Penguin USA: Dial, Dutton, Firebird, Frederick Warne, Putnam, Grosset & Dunlap, Philomel, Price Stern Sloan, Puffin, Speak, Viking.
Penguin Group Ltd. (UK) www.penguin.co.uk
(click on "about us" and then "frequently asked questions")
Penguin Books India www.penguinbooksindia.com
Penguin Books Australia www.penguin.com.au
Penguin Books New Zealand www.penguin.co.nz
Penguin Books Ireland www.penguin.ie
Where can I find out more about copyright?
If you have general questions about copyright rules and current legislation in Canada, information can be found at your local library, or at the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.